Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squatting with APT

APT ( anterior pelvic tilt )

I was squatting yesterday after a while off legs and I feel like I’ve done my lower back out... I’ve done this before and stretching for 2 weeks will fix the issue

just wondering if any other guys have the same issue and know any work around a for squatting etc

i have the exact same issue, basically stretches is the best way to relieve it, im following this

Comment

• Bigmashh
      Bigmashh commented
      Editing a comment
      After squatting yesterday I felt like my ass was sticking out while walking hahaha

So do you squat or do other things ?

i still squat but i gotta stretch my back alot more, i cant squat atm though my patellar tendon in my knee is playing up, there are exercises on youtube by chiros ect to activate the glutes ect apparantly my glutes arent activating in squats and thats one of the causes, also i ride a push bike to the gym and that can do it aswell, ive always had a arch in my back aswell but deads helped that alot

Comment

• ncnspkus
      ncnspkus commented
      Editing a comment
      lol i got big glutes but they just not activating 100%

• kiwilifter
      kiwilifter commented
      Editing a comment
      https://squatuniversity.com/2018/01/...d-tendon-pain/ Interesting patellar tendon pain / squatting analysis here. I had issues with this too and physio basically prescribed the normal slow progression of eccentric loading at light weights... this approach is keep it heavy and just under the pain threshold. My pain hasn't bugged me for a while but if it flares up again in future I'm gonna give this approach a go

• ncnspkus
      ncnspkus commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks kiwilifter ill check it out

I realised not long ago I have it too. Mine was caused by bad posture as a way to take pressure of my knee injuries when I was younger. So hard to break the habit of what feels normal now. If you figure it out, hit me up

Comment

• Bigmashh
      Bigmashh commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah man completely understand the feeling !
      I switch to a normal position and can’t imagine how I can do this 24/7 without forcing it

• Lab rat
      Lab rat commented
      Editing a comment
      I usually pay attention to it for a while, then work gets busy and old habits creep back in. Determined to make more of an effort for a while at least. Usually athlean x has some good stuff on how to fix problems

• Bigmashh
      Bigmashh commented
      Editing a comment
      Doing cobra stretches and bow and arrows fixed me last time this happened

Hard to give generic advice that'll cater for everyone... as you may possibly have other issues further down the kinetic chain that could be adding to it/causing it.

1. Weak / misfiring glutes
    This is often a factor in many cases. Some people may need to spend a lot of time getting that up to par. Some can get away with doing glute bridges before squatting to get the glutes activated beforehand.

2. Tight hip flexors
    Stretching them out can help dramatically over time.

3. Tight / rounded thoracic back
    Not a cause of APT, but I've seen many people with it suffer from this too... make sure to stretch out the upper back too before squats & focus on building it back up on a pull day too.

My warm up / mobility work for leg day often takes like 15 mins...

hip flexor stretch on ground (basically a lunge)
    hip flexor stretch w/ bench (basically a lunge with the back foot pressed against the bench for more of a stretch)
    Spider lunge with thoracic stretch
    Air squats
    Air squats - then at the base move your weight from side to side
    Gorilla squats / Froggies - I often pause at the bottom and use my arms/elbows to force my legs out from the inside
    Glute bridges
    Single leg glute bridges (I can get away with 10 glute bridges and just like 5 either side solo and can feel my glutes firing quite well - I know early on in the piece I had to do more)
    Few more air squats - glutes should be feeling good.

Then proceed with some weighted warm up lifts.

Comment

• Bigmashh
      Bigmashh commented
      Editing a comment
      Great advice, I’ll add that to my next work out

• ncnspkus
      ncnspkus commented
      Editing a comment
      deff great points, i focused on glute activation tonight and pain in the front of my legs dissapeared while doin squats, deff gonna focus more on it

• Lab rat
      Lab rat commented
      Editing a comment
      Hyperextending knees is also another common cause, so something to check guys

You could be cueing yourself into apt by pushing your hips back to initiate the squat..gives you massive lower back pumps

With your feet firmly planted to the ground slightly externally rotate femurs (feels like you're trying screw feet into the ground with your glutes) initiate the squat by pushing the knees out rather than hips back, keep your torso upright as possible while maintaining balance over mid foot.

This might help decrease the moment arm between bar and hips, and relieve some pressure off the lower back.

Comment

• Bigmashh
      Bigmashh commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll try the legs apart thing, makes sense to me , thanks for the reply

• SamBruh
      SamBruh commented
      Editing a comment

• JDu90
      JDu90 commented
      Editing a comment
      You’re absolutely right, I used to break at the hips first and I’d have to stop my workouts because I’d get the most intense back pump from it. I now go a little wider and point toes out and start at the knees. Feels more natural too

Yep if I use those poxy squat machines or the hack-squat the right side of my back is fingered. If I do bar work i dont have any issues, but i use a safety squat bar. I have started to do a lot of lower back work, i.e. good mornings and these ones in the attached pic as I can't walk properly if i jam up the right side. Seems to be going better now, no machine squats, lock my core shoulder width stance, start at 1 plate each side and work my way up. 2 sets of 12 warm up at a plate a side then add a plate each side every set up from warm up until its jelly bean time.

Comment

• Bigmashh
      Bigmashh commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll add these to my routine !

I've found that forgetting the 'perfect form' type instructionals and just squatting with a form that feels right and natural for my body has worked wonders. For me, that means my feet a bit wider than shoulder width, toes turned outwards maybe 20 degrees from straight forward. This allows my hips to track much more naturally through the movement. If I try do the whole feet parallel and shoulder width stance, I get pelvic tilt because there just isn't room for everything to fit through

Comment

• Bigmashh
      Bigmashh commented
      Editing a comment
      I feel like that’s probably my issue

• ncnspkus
      ncnspkus commented
      Editing a comment
      im exactly the same my feet turn out or im restricted
Working...
X