No announcement yet.

Power lift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just ganna throw out some advice to mate that may or may not be common knowledge.

Muslces grow stronger faster then tendons pushing yourself too fast can lead to tears especially for smaller dudes getting strong fast. Listen to your body if something feels wrong chances are it will lead to bad news. Try to address what the issue is and why it’s hurting before driving up weight.

Comment

heres a good leg workout for you mate i just noticed your going to do them on wednesdays,

Squats ; 6 sets X 8 reps ( run this for about 4 weeks then do 10 reps then over time take it up to 15 )
    Leg Press ; (iso if you have one so you dont favour one side ) 4 sets X 8 reps (again 4 weeks then up to 10 reps then up to 12)
    Leg Extension; (again iso if your gym has one) 4 sets X 8 reps ( then 10 then 12)
    Straight leg deadlifts (watch your form) ; 4 sets X 8 reps (then 10 then 12)
    lying or standing leg curls (again iso if your gym has one) 4 sets X 8 reps ( then 10 - 12 - 15)
    Standing calf raises 4 sets X 25 reps ( then 30 - 35 - 40 - 45 - 50)
    The following week swap out standing calf raises for seated and throw in
    Lunges 4 sets X 8 reps

Later on you can get more into it, my leg day is a 2-3 hr session usually then ill come back and hit calves again about 3 or 4 days later.

Start with reasonable weight and up it a little every week, dont go crazy straight up and look at using a weight belt and knee wraps

Comment

• Thatschillman
      Thatschillman commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't think il be hitting 100kg for a while I've gotta get good form before I even think about bumping up that much, might get a trainer for a couple sessions just to get help with squats and then go up from there

• WAR13
      WAR13 commented
      Editing a comment
      i prefer doing bar squats mate, helps your core and balance immensely, my brother on the other hand loves machine squats but they always hurt the right side of my back. I use a manta ray squat device(ebay) so the bar is spot on in the correct spot. Take your time, focus on a spot in front of you and watch that spot throughout the lift, do not allow your spine to curve, if you look down while you squat your spine will curve because your neck has tipped forward so start light even just bar weight and get that spot to look at and follow it throughout the whole movement, up and down. I usually look straight forward then follow that spot the whole time with your eyes, works a treat, the rest is time and drive.

• Thatschillman
      Thatschillman commented
      Editing a comment
      Killa, well come Wednesday il try put that into motion starting low weight and see how I go. I'll check out that manta ray thingo aswell thanks man

Considering two of the three powerlifting movements are leg-driven, you'd better fall in love with training legs. And get a PL coach to sort out your form - not a green personal trainer who will put plates under your heels when you squat.

Comment

• WAR13
      WAR13 commented
      Editing a comment
      f*cking love leg day

i know WAR13 said use knee wraps, please dont until you start gettin into max lifts, honestly though a good set of knee sleeves like sbd are more than enough and still give good rebound, no need for wraps unless u gonna get into powerlifting but you wanna strengthen all the muscles around knees which wraps will cancel out, i use knee sleeves squatting 260kg, youll get much more progress and strength this way, nothing against war13 but your only just starting off, and with the weight belt try not to use it try build up that core strength without one as wen u do start goin heavy it will make more of a difference wen you do use it for max lifts, this is only advice take of it wat u will

Comment

• WAR13
      WAR13 commented
      Editing a comment
      yeh i'd run with what ncnspkus says, i use what i use probably more so due to worn joints and ****, id still say use the belt but not while your pushing lighter weights. I just got a set of knee sleeves a few weeks ago, im yet to use them but i'll give them a run.

• Thatschillman
      Thatschillman commented
      Editing a comment
      Nah that's good man il take all the advice I can get don't want any injuries straight off the bat

WAR13 if u got some decent sleeves youll love them bro, my knees r ****ed from years of fighting and footy, im on deca full time just coz it makes the knees feel nicer haha, take ya time with the sleeves wen ya squat just so u get used to them, a good warm up on the bike will warm the knees up aswell always helps

Comment

• WAR13
      WAR13 commented
      Editing a comment
      yeh copy that im just getting back on the bike too, most of my body is ****ed from fighting bro, ive got arthritis everywhere now, but ill keep getting bits rebuilt as i can afford it. i'm keen to try them they seem good i had the elbow sleeves on last week doing some lifts they were good on the big weight. I cruise on test and deca now makes my joints feel a lot better than they have before i discovered this whole cruise thing, now i'll never go back.

• ncnspkus
      ncnspkus commented
      Editing a comment
      yeh bro i wear my elbow sleeves for everything exept the occasion wen i train arms, if your wanting to get into strongman deff get used to wearing elbow and knee sleeves, your body will thank you for it, riding the bike is actually really good at strengthening your muscles around the knee giving you stronger knees even if they r flogged out, learnt that from a top footy trainer, wen i started doing it my pain in my knees nearly dissapeared quiet quickly aswell, good luck bro

Originally posted by ncnspkus View Post
    i know WAR13 said use knee wraps, please dont until you start gettin into max lifts, honestly though a good set of knee sleeves like sbd are more than enough and still give good rebound, no need for wraps unless u gonna get into powerlifting but you wanna strengthen all the muscles around knees which wraps will cancel out, i use knee sleeves squatting 260kg, youll get much more progress and strength this way, nothing against war13 but your only just starting off, and with the weight belt try not to use it try build up that core strength without one as wen u do start goin heavy it will make more of a difference wen you do use it for max lifts, this is only advice take of it wat u will
    Agreed bro. I wear sleeves to 250 too before switching to wraps, which only happens for maybe 6 weeks during my peak contest prep phase. But keep in mind that it is relative to your 1rm and BW - we're probably both a fair bit heavier and stronger than Thatschillman

I have busted knees from rugby injuries though, so when I go over 300kg in squats I do not want any lateral knee movement at all or my ligaments will probably rip to shreds again.

Tough one on the belt - if you've got a weak core, it will limit your squats. With a belt you'll be able to brace better and squat heavier, but then you need to do accessories to improve your core. I neglected that for a long time, but now do all kinds of funky ****. Still in the confines of my own home though- no way will I let my mates see me do bird dogs, dead bugs or side planks

Also, I don't wear a belt on deads, which helps a bit core-wise. Managed 320 in the gym with relative ease, but will belt up from now on from a little lighter. My lower back is almost as fragile as my knees and ego.

Comment

• ncnspkus
      ncnspkus commented
      Editing a comment
      haha thats funny bro i was just sayin on ya slin post i used bpc n slin wen i had torn lat n tricep about 12 weeks back i got the bpc from premium peptides, healed me up in about 5-6 weeks fully, i did the star rehab protocal with it that deff helped aswell

• <killkitties>
      <killkitties> commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol. Just read your response in my slin post and was wondering if I hit the twilight zone too Refreshed the browser once or twice, but I guess the truth is everywhere

Send me a PM if you end up in Vic so we can kick around a few stones ncnspkus

• ncnspkus
      ncnspkus commented
      Editing a comment
      haha yeh ive hit the refresh a few times its great to talk to someone that likes pickin up heavy **** and not prancing on stage in a g banger 😂 yeh bro will do for sure same goes if u come to perth 💪😆
Working...
X